Monday, March 28, 2005

Easter ... Not what we were expecting

So, I was looking very forward to seeing the in-laws for Easter. No such luck. Didn’t see anyone except Dave, as it turns out. About 2:30 on Saturday afternoon, Dave got sick. He continued to get sick for the next 14 hours. Fearing virus, Stacy went to stay with her parents. I went out to get him some gatorade so he wouldn’t dehydrate.

Also fearing virus, even though I felt fine, I decided not to make an appearance at the Bryant family Easter Fest. I was worried that I may have been carrying something, and with several children under 4, I just didn’t want to risk it. Dave is fine now, he even at a little bit yesterday.
While I was sad that the weekend didn’t turn out as planned, between hovering sessions outside the bathroom door, asking Dave if he needed anything, I was able to completely veg.

You see, while out getting gatorade, I broke down and finally bought the DVD I’ve been wanting since the day it was released. DVDs really, which is why I hadn’t purchased them yet. $20 is one thing, but $40 for the entire first season of Miami Vice had to wait. Yes, that’s right. Miami Vice. That was a show that the family watched when I was a kid. LOVED that show.

I was a little nervous, I must admit, when I put the first DVD in to watch the pilot. I was afraid that it would be so unbelievably dated, I’d be sorry that I bought it.

I was not sorry. Yes, it’s dated. The clothes are horrendous. But the dialogue is still pretty snappy, and the stories are still great. So, while my dear husband was waiting out the stomach virus (or food poisoning?), I was having a Miami Vice marathon. I watched 12 of the 22 episodes. What a blast!

Interesting tidbit: you all know my love for 24. Well, turns out, Joel Surnow who is an executive producer and writer for 24 was also a writer and executive producer for Miami Vice in the first season, at least. Hmmm. I’m curious now to know what else he’s written and produced. Turns out to include: Wiseguy, The Equalizer, St. Elsewhere, Falcon Crest, The Commish, among others. So it seems my mom and I enjoy his writing. We both watched Wiseguy and The Equalizer. The Hagerman Family also watched St. Elsewhere, back in the day.

The best part is seeing the actors who played some of the non-regular characters: Jimmy Smitts as Sonny’s partner who gets killed in the pilot, Belinda Montgomery as Sonny’s ex-wife (Doogie Howser’s mom), Ed O’Neill, Suzy Amis (The Usual Suspects), Bruce Willis, Michael Madsen, John Pankow (Ira in Mad About You), Evan Handler (Charlotte’s husband in Sex and the City), Joan Chen, John Turturro, Ving Rhames.

So, yeah, that about sums up the weekend.

Also big thanks go to my mom who brought leftovers from her own Easter feast to us last night. Good stuff!

1 comment:

galarza said...

so, the leotard girl was suzy amis!! from titanic! ok. and you know you'll have to re-watch those 11 post-pilot episodes. :) i enjoy watching the club scenes. apparently, when you go to a 1985 strip club, you can hear rockwell's 'somebody's watching me".