Monday, January 24, 2005

Still not feelin' it

OK, so I’m still not really feeling the writing thing. This is my problem with journaling. Neither here nor there, really.

Just in generally crappy mood today. Nothing in particular. Just so much going on, and I’m starting to feel overwhelmed. Haven’t even talked to my mom in a week. That’s unusual. Calling her right now.

Weekend was good, though, generally speaking. Didn’t get anything done, but did a lot of things, if that makes sense. That’s what frustrates me greatly. Asside from that, though, I had an incredible time on Saturday in particular.

Friday night was fun. We found out that the band members have more in common that we thought prior to the show at Andrews Upstairs. Kinda fun learning new things about people you’ve known for three years, more or less.

So on Saturday, we weren’t in a big hurry to get anywhere, which is unusual and nice. When we did finally go somewhere, it was a bit of pre-show entertainment at the Firing Lane in Athens. We took our own small, and rented very large, guns and played around for an hour or so. I think my favorite part of going to the range is that you get to use the most creative targets: a standard silhouette, but the “guy” has his hands over his crotch; a black and white photorealistic assailant in a ski mask; and finally a color photorealistic Osama bin Laden. I hear you rolling your eyes, but so what. So, having selected our targets, we rented an MP5 and a Thompson machine gun (otherwise known as a Tommy-gun – yes, the ones the gangsters used back in the day). I was surprised by two things mainly – how light and easy to shoot the MP5 is, and how unbelievably heavy the Thompson is. I didn’t go fully automatic on the MP5 since I shot up the ceiling on the three-burst setting. I did go fully automatic on the Thompson, though. And Dave got a really killer shot of a bullet coming out of the barrel. So awesome. I’ll try to remember to post that tonight.

Then Funkle Ester had a show at Tastey World. They didn’t go on until after midnight. We got there, and the place was so packed. They were on, though. Sounded better than ever. I love Funkle Ester. I know I’m married to the sax player, but I swear, that’s not the only reason I love the band. They are so amazing.

Show was followed up by mirth and fun at the McLucas household until 4am for me, 5am for Dave. Rolled out of bed at 11:30am, drove home, watched the Falcons lose, cried about Johnny Carson, drooled over Kiefer Sutherland on Inside the Actors Studio, watched the Patriots win, did four loads of laundry that are still sitting on the chair getting wrinkled in our living room.

Song lyric for the day:
When this cardboard town can no longer amuse you
You see through everything, and nothing seems worthwhile
And hypocrite used to be such a big word to you
It don’t seem to mean anything to you now
Just try to live each and every precious moment
Don’t be discouraged by the future, forget the past
That’s old advice, but it’ll be good to you
Know there’s a balance
I see it when I swing past
Between a laugh and a tear
Smile in the mirror as you walk by
Between a laugh and a tear
And that’s as good as it’s going to get for us
And that ain’t no reason to stop trying

1 comment:

galarza said...

wow, whitney, you have a lot to say. first of all, let me commend you on the 4 loads of laundry. laundry doesn't do itself, you know. also, i'd like to say thank you for marrying the sax player so that i can dance to disco every other wkend. i also have to give a shoutout to dave, who let me shoot a tommy gun. (i secretly pretended i was shootin' gangstas.)

you know, whit, you really should put the bullet pic up on your blog.