Thursday, May 05, 2005

Laziness

Alright alright, I know quotations are the tool of lazy writers. Well, I'm lazy. I'm actually so lazy that I haven't read my daily quotations emails in 44 days. I did today. Here are the hightlights.

Hell is full of musical amateurs.
-- George Bernard Shaw
(see this band, and this one with this song, and this person)

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
--Bertrand de Jouvenel

If there is anything the nonconformist hates worse than a conformist, it's another nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standard of nonconformity.
-- Bill Vaughan

Failure is not the only punishment for laziness; there is also the success of others.
-- Jules Renard
(see the total readership number of this blog, for instance vs. readership of other blogs that actually use original content)

I hope that while so many people are out smelling the flowers, someone is taking the time to plant some.
-- Herbert Rappaport

Much of the social history of the Western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good.
-- Thomas Sowell, Is Reality Optional?, 1993
(see public education)

Politics is not the art of the possible. It consists in choosing between the disastrous and the unpalatable.
-- John Kenneth Galbraith
(see social security reform, medicare, presidential elections, etc.)

A cynic is not merely one who reads bitter lessons from the past, he is one who is prematurely disappointed in the future.
-- Sidney J. Harris

If one sticks too rigidly to one's principles, one would hardly see anybody.
-- Agatha Christie

I have learned to use the word 'impossible' with the greatest caution.
-- Wernher von Braun
(see US Space Missions)

Saying what we think gives us a wider conversational range than saying what we know.
-- Cullen Hightower
(see the blogdom, gossip columns and magazines, political pundits, etc.)

I can win an argument on any topic, against any opponent. People know this, and steer clear of me at parties. Often, as a sign of their great respect, they don't even invite me.
-- Dave Barry

The aging process has you firmly in its grasp if you never get the urge to throw a snowball.
-- Doug Larson

The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.
-- Sir Richard Francis Burton

Tip the world over on its side and everything loose will land in Los Angeles.
-- Frank Lloyd Wright

2 comments:

Captain said...

Those are fun. I need to start putting those on T-shirts and selling them to glib people everywhere.

Dave said...

huh huh, you said snowball.