Monday, December 27, 2004

Seriously, this is what our government does - spend

A billion seconds ago it was 1972.
A billion minutes ago Trajan ruled the Roman Empire.
A billion hours ago our ancestors were living in the Stone Age.
A billion dollars ago was only 4 hours and 10 minutes, at the rate Washington spends it.

I have run this through http://www.snopes.com/ for verification.

Many of you who know me, know that I lean primarily libertarian. Small "l," not Libertarian. I should explain the difference when I have a little more time. Short version, I don't belong to the Libertarian party, but I believe in libertarian principles – personal freedom and personal responsibility.

Outside of the protection of its people from violence – direct, not indirect violence – is the federal government’s primary responsibility. So much of what our government does to “protect us” from each other and ourselves is unconstitutional. If it’s not spelled out explicitly in the constitution as a federal power, then the responsibility falls to the state governments and to us as individuals and private groups. It’s pretty damn clear, but so many people are hell-bent on protecting me from myself.

Well, thank you very much, but I want to make my own decisions and pay my own price if I screw up – and reap the rewards if I succeed. The more responsibility the government assumes for my protection, the more they can justify intrusion into my life. Any decision to offer federal protection should also be based on proven, not junk, science.

So that’s my vent for the day.

1 comment:

galarza said...

i like being responsible for myself. i dont like being told what to do - by my boss, by my parents, by the government. we need rules and laws, but i like being left alone to make my own mistakes. unless im going to hurt somebody else, then maybe someone should intervene.

people forget there's a bigger picture and it bugs me.