Thursday, December 23, 2004

Ah, Christmas

So, here we are, Christmas is upon us. It’s so different being a grown-up. You don’t have two weeks to do nothing and prepare for Christmas. Strange thing that when you are a teenager and in college, you don’t really have to prepare for Christmas, but you’ve got all the time in the world for it. Then when you get older and have a job, you need that time, but you don’t have it.

I would like a day or so to just relax and focus on Christmas. Typically, I can take a couple vacation days, but not this year. I’m all out. I’m excited, though, because next year they’re changing our time off policy here at work, and I’ll have a little extra time. Basically, we’re losing defined time off (15 days off, 5 sick days) and getting 18 days off total to use as you wish. A lot of people see this as losing time, but since I only took a ½ sick day this year, I’m gaining 2.5 days off. Yay.

Anyway, back to being able to focus on Christmas. The only real chance I’ll get this year is church. And I can’t wait. Much to my chagrin (I love that word), this year my husband and I became those people who only go to church on Easter and Christmas. While that works very well for a lot of people, it doesn’t work for us. We left our church because of the denomination’s involvement in politics (recommending EPA emissions standards – um, what!), and we just settled on another denomination this week. While they recommend that their members get involved in groups that align with the teachings, the denomination and churches do not get involved in politics. As it should be, thank you very much.

So, with all the politics and searching, we’ve both lost something this year – focus, grounding, something inside that makes everything seem ok, no matter what’s happening. We need to get that back. And it will start with this Christmas’ service. I’m more excited about that than anything else having to do with Christmas right now. My husband was talking about cravings the other day on his blog (http://stumblingthroughthelines.blogspot.com), and that is what I’ve been craving. I need to get this meaning back in my life. Church will help me focus again.

2 comments:

Whitney said...

We went to Christmas Eve service at Perimeter Church in Alpharetta, but we'll also be checking out East Cobb Presbyterian on 120.

Perimeter seems pretty evangelical, but they explicitly stay out of government affairs. That's really what I was looking for.

Whitney said...

Adam! Yay, good to see you.

This could be fun. I'm surprised that Dave hasn't blogged about boobies. I'll put a link up to his and Stacy's blogs, though.