Sunday, April 06, 2008

Up to what?

Well, this weekend, I've dealt with a lovely cold. Not too bad, but enough to keep me from running or getting out much. I've done an awful lot of laundry, though. But yesterday, Dave and I did get out for something I've been waiting on for quite a while.

New York's Metropolitan Opera
has been simulcasting its Saturday matinée performances in movie theaters since 2006. When I heard that La Boheme was a selection this season, I was determined to go. While Madame Butterfly was the first opera I ever listened to in its entirety, La Boheme was the first (and is still the only) that I own. I have only ever listened to it, though. I was thrilled to see it for the first time - performed by no less a company that the Met.

I was also curious to see what the parallels are between Puccini's La Boheme and Jonathan Larson's Rent - one of my favorite modern musicals.

Stunning it the only way I can describe it. Dave does a better job than I could, though. If you're interested in a more detailed description, jump on over to his post on the subject.

I will echo something he says, though. If you enjoy opera or symphonic/orchestral music, take advantage of the opportunity to see one of these productions. It's well worth the afternoon and the price.

No comments: