Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Thank you, Erica

I have to give a big thank you to Erica for letting me buy her Keane tickets, so she could go see the Doves tonight. What a show! There are few bands or singers who put on live shows that illustrate how woefully inadequite recorded music can be (is). Well, CDs, actually. My dad has a reel-to-reel of Madame Butterfly that is the best recording I've ever heard of anything. I digress.

Turns out, Keane is one of those bands whose CDs do them no justice whatsoever. And I like their recorded music. But live. Damn. Just damn. The lead singer's stage presence is incredible. The band's presence as a whole isn't choreographed or contrived. Even the lighting is well-done. Their stage show is on par with some of the best, but they do it in places like the Tabernacle instead of Philips Arena (for now).

3 comments:

Dave said...

Jealous, jealous, jealous..... I want to see Keane play!!!!

Captain said...

Let me add my 2 cents here, not that you need a testimonial...but I went to the show last night having heard what Keane songs they play on the radio, and nothing more. I'm not what could be construed as remotely interested in the latest movement in music, the "Brit Poppy" thing, but some of it sounds good. That being said, I have to tell you, Keane put on a better show than most of the bands I've ever seen. They're solid musicians, and the guy’s voice is truer and cleaner than I could have ever imagined. I'm in hopes that their second CD gets a better engineering job so that his vocal power can show through a bit more. Were it not for the people and the bar in the way, these guys would have blown the doors off the Tabernacle. Thank you Whit for taking me, it's a show I won't forget.

Captain said...

Oh! Also, big shout out to Jojo of the Modern Skirts and Troy from Nomad, whom we bumped into at the show. Let's hope the skirts get their fair shake and start playing places like the Tabernacle soon.