Thursday, June 16, 2005

Chin deep in it

Going to see one of my favorite singer-songwriters tonight at Eddie's Attic couldn't have come at a better time. I'm chin deep in music right now. I sit at my desk at work with my headphones on listening to the three big guys in my book: Guy Clark, Lyle Lovett, and Radney Foster.

Tonight at Eddie's Attic was Radney Foster. The crowd was no more than 150. Radney and a couple guitars. I can't say much more than that.

There was a song that I'd not heard before. I can't explain what it's like to go to a show like this by yourself and hear a song like this one. I just hope you can understand. If you can't, well, I'm sad for you, because it truly is one of the greatest experiences in life - in its pain and its glory.

"Half Of My Mistakes"
(Radney Foster/Bobby Houck)

Half of my mistakes I made stone cold sober
Half of my mistakes I made at closing time
Half the time I never saw it coming 'til it was over
Half of my mistakes I made with love on the line

Half of my mistakes I swear I should have known better
Half of my mistakes were just amongst friends
You get a little distance on it the truth is clearer
Half of my mistakes, I'd probably make 'em again.

(Chorus)
So if I had it all to do over I'm sure I'¹d win and lose just as much
Spend less time on right and wrong
And a lot more time on love.

Half of my mistakes I made 'cause I was moving too quickly
Half of 'em were made 'cause my heart was moving too slow
Nobody can tell you a damn thing if you ain't listening
Half of my mistakes I made 'cause I couldn't let go

(Repeat chorus)

Half of my mistakes I'd give anything to change how it ended
Half of my mistakes, God, I wouldn't change a thing
You can lean too hard on regrets, but I don't recommend it
Because half the good things in life came from half of my mistakes

Yeah, a lot of good things in my life come from half my mistakes.

No comments: